In our most recent book, Technology-as-a-Service Playbook, there is a chapter titled “Swallowing the Fish.” It analyzes how technology companies are navigating the transformation from selling technology as an asset to selling technology as a service. The chapter highlights the journeys of Adobe, Intuit, and Autodesk.
Since the publication of the book, this is one of the most common questions we receive from technology executives:
“Do you have any more examples of companies that are successfully navigating this financial transformation? Well, markets are moving rapidly. There clearly are more examples to examine and lessons to be learned. This TSIA Insight covers the following topics:
- A quick review of the trends forcing technology companies to face this business model transformation.
- The definition of the “fish” technology companies are currently swallowing.
- Defining success during the transformation.
- Additional framing: Five profiles for swallowing the fish.
- Updated guidance from TSIA on navigating the transformation.
- Four questions an executive must answer before attempting to swallow the fish.
- Incremental case studies and lessons learned.